Tuesday, August 3, 2010

June 30: Friday Harbor

Getting delayed on the first leg of your two-flight voyage isn’t the greatest beginning to a vacation, but I guess you can’t complain after being on vacation the previous week. So when we got delayed an hour on our flight from Sun Valley to Seattle it made my parents and I a little nervous about catching our puddle-jumper flight from Seattle to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. The nerves were unneeded as we checked in for our second flight with ten minutes to spare.

The flight to Friday Harbor was very scenic with one stop on Orcas Island. When we dropped off a majority of the passengers at Orcas there was a man waiting at the airport for a package that was on our plane. Subsequently, I heard a sentence I don’t believe I will ever hear again. The man sauntered up to the pilot and said matter-of-factly, “Hi, I think you have some semen for me.” He quickly looked up at those of us on the plane and added, “It’s horse semen.” To which the pilot threw out that he was a horse breeder. But I digress, after leaving Orcas Island we flew ten minutes to Friday Harbor. As we made our approach I looked out the window at all the boats in the harbor and tried to pick out the largest one, which was fairly easy, and thought to myself, “Hmm, that might be the Breanna.” Once we landed, took a taxi to the marina, and met Ross the deckhand/first mate we walked down the dock to find the Breanna. As we walked I once again picked out the same boat as being the largest and lo and behold, it ended up being the Breanna. It was a different feeling knowing that you’re getting on the biggest boat in the harbor, kinda like everyone was watching you.

On Approach

Once we got settled and visited with Bud, Pam and Judy we ordered some food for take-out from Downriggers, a restaurant right at the marina. I had cod fish and chips, which was good, and my mom had a cornmeal crusted halibut salad, which was tasty as well. My dad got an Asian halibut entrée that ended up having a creamy sauce on it that I found a little different, but it wasn’t horrible. After dinner we watched the classic movie Roman Holiday and then hit the sack.

No comments: