Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 7: Dent Island Lodge to Thurston Bay

Last night after everyone had gone to sleep the skies opened up and it started to rain. It ended up raining all through the night and when I woke up this morning it was still grey and foggy and wet outside. We had saved the roe from the salmon we caught so I decided to experiment and make a duck egg, spinach, squash and salmon roe frittata. It actually turned out pretty good. The salmon roe added a salty, unctuous richness to the frittata that was interesting.

Dent Island Lodge

After breakfast we watched some old TV shows of Bud and Malcolm Smith racing and then some videos of some of the Feldkamps’ vacations. Then we read a little and made some salmon tacos for lunch. After lunch we read our books a little and then Bud, my dad and I took the tender out into the soupy fog to explore a little. We headed over to the Sonora Resort on Sonora Island, which is the next island over. While we were over there we got a tip that some orcas would be passing by the north end of Sonora Island around 4 pm so Bud and my dad decided that we would try and intercept them on our way to Thurston Bay. Unfortunately we didn’t find them so we just drove to the bay and Matt and Ross anchored the boat.

Thurston Bay

After we had anchored Ross took my dad and I out on the tender to fish a little bit. We tooled around for about an hour or so without any bites so we reeled our stuff in and explored the bay for a little while. When we got back I baked some of the salmon from yesterday.

Earlier in the day I had marinated two of the fillets in some mustard, dill, honey, garlic and capers. I marinated another fillet, the bones, collar and head in cilantro, onion, wasabi, lime juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and honey.

The salmon was pretty good and the cheek and eyeball were really good. After dinner was finished we watched Flags of our Fathers and then hit the hay.

Broiled Salmon Head

No comments: