Sunday, November 16, 2008

November 13: Banda Sea – Day 3

I spoke too soon. The Bali Belly finally caught up to me and at about 2:30 in the morning I woke up feeling nauseous and had diarrhea, so I spent the next couple of hours on the pot and when I finally thought it was done I ended up hurling into the sink. After vomiting I felt a lot better and was hopeful that I wouldn't miss any dives today. The first dive was called Lava Flow and it was next to the volcanic island Gunungapi. The volcano last erupted in 1988 and devastated the reef, but for some reason the hard corals were able to grow back in about one-fifth the time it takes them to normally grow. In just twenty years the table corals and staghorn corals have grown to enormous sizes to the point where they get too heavy and break off and then more coral grows on top of them, so it creates a terrace effect under the water.


Even though I wasn't feeling 100% the dive was still incredible and unlike any other place in the world.


When we got back to the boat from the dive I laid out on a couch and tried to take a nap while everyone ate second breakfast. I started to feel nauseous again and Charlotte gave me a pill for it, but right when I stuck it in my mouth I ended up throwing it up over the side of the boat. Needless to say, I didn't go on any more of the dives today, and I ended up taking about a five or six hour nap, which I needed. Once evening rolled around almost half the boat was sick and even our dive guides Marcel, Made and Ali got sick.

No comments: