Tuesday, January 19, 2016

January 19: Okinawa to Tokyo

First things first, Luke is now 6 months old! It’s crazy how quickly the first 6 months went by and how much he has changed.
Our Pride & Joy

This morning we were a little bit late for breakfast, we got there at 7 instead of 6:30. I decided I should probably at least try and be a little bit healthy so I started off with some salad. After my first helping of food I only went back for the items I really liked so I think I was able to keep the quantity of food that I ate to a reasonable amount. After breakfast we went back to the room to finish packing before Uncle Kiyohito picked us up to take us to the airport.
Proof that I had salad for breakfast
The flight to Haneda Airport was relatively smooth and our plane was probably less than half full, which was nice. The weather in Tokyo was perfect and on the approach we had a great view of Mt. Fuji off in the distance. Otousan said he had never seen the weather that clear when he had flown into Tokyo before. We tried to get a few pictures with our phones, but I think it may have been a little too far in the distance.
Mt. Fuji Obviously
After we landed and retrieved our baggage Otousan went and purchased bus tickets for us to be transported to Ginza, which is where our hotel was located. The bus dropped us off at the Courtyard hotel and from there it was about a 10 minute walk to our hotel, which was the Hotel Monterey La Soeur. After we checked in and got ourselves situated we headed out to one of the main streets in Ginza where there were several department stores and multiple high-end shops. Otousan took us to Matsuya department store to look at their restaurant floor for dinner. We decided to go to Miyagawa, which is an eel restaurant.
Miyagawa Restaurant
I ordered a large unajyu (eel over rice in a box) and Otousan ordered me kimosui (eel liver soup). The waitress informed us that we would have to wait about 30 minutes because they had to cook the eel. I have to admit, I was pretty excited for this meal because in the US it is extremely rare to find a restaurant with fresh unagi that they prepare themselves and for this would be a first for me. To this point the prepackaged unagi was all I had ever experienced, even in restaurants. Everything came out at the same time and we were also given assorted tsukemono.
Tsukemono
The eel liver soup was very simple, yet delicious. It was a clear seafood dashi with the gently simmered eel liver. The broth was very clean tasting and the eel liver was actually milder than I was expecting. It had a very slight bitter flavor and then it almost melted away.
Kimosui
The unajyu was everything I had hoped for. The eel was cooked perfectly with the excess fat rendering out and helping to caramelize the outside and the flesh was still moist and succulent on the inside. The tare (seasoning) that they used was subtle yet flavorful so that you could still taste the quality of the eel. It had absolutely no fishiness at all and I devoured it all in no time.
Unajyu
When we finished dinner we walked around Matsuya for a little while and then headed back to the hotel. After Christal bathed Luke the three of us went back out to walk around the neighborhood a little bit. While we were walking we ended up going into a bakery called Cozy Corner and bought a couple of Mont Blanc cakes to have for dessert. We walked around for about 30 minutes more and then went back to the room to have our dessert and hit the hay.
Chuo Dori Looking Northeast

No comments: