Sunday, March 8, 2015

March 7, 2015: Blue Plate Oysterette

I have been wanting to try Blue Plate Oysterette for a while now and Jeffrey and Jenny had told me it was good a while ago. Christal was on call tonight so I was able to meet up with Jane and Skyler. The restaurant was pretty crowded, but not as crowded as I was expecting for a Saturday night. It definitely had a nice nautical theme for the decor with the table tops having nautical maps on them. In the corner there was a large flat screen that was playing the movie "Riding Giants" on a loop. The service was attentive without being overbearing.

When I was reading the menu my eyes kept drifting to the oysters Rockefeller so I had to get that for my first course. Eating the oysters took me back to my childhood days when we would visit Kentucky and occasionally eat at Orleans House in Lexington. I remember first trying oysters Rockefeller there and being puzzled by the hot, salty, plump oysters. Blue Plate's version was very good and I was happy that the oysters were not completely overpowered by the sauce. I could still taste the fresh brininess of the oysters through the rich, creamy sauce.
Oysters Rockefeller
I ordered the lobster roll on brioche with french fries for my main course. I got it dressed, so the lobster was cold and tossed in a house aioli dressing. The lobster roll was very good, but the brioche roll was a little bit more dense than I was expecting. I would personally probably prefer the lobster roll from Connie & Ted's or Hinoki & the Bird, but this lobster roll was close on their heals. It had a lot of large pieces of tail and claw meat that were succulent and tender. To top it all off the fries were all crispy and seasoned liberally with a spicy paprika based spice mix.
Lobster Roll w French Fries
For dessert we all shared the Key lime pie. As good as the previous two dishes were this was probably the highlight of the dinner for me. First of all, the serving was huge. It wasn't just a piece of pie, it was a whole small pie. The Graham cracker crust was just pressed together and not too dense. The whipped cream on top was freshly whipped and spiked with fresh lime zest. The filling was piled high inside of the crust and was packed with fresh lime flavor. Unlike many Key lime pies it was not cloyingly sweet. The whole dessert had great balance with a nice emphasis on the lime flavor, and it was a great finish to a satisfying meal.
Key Lime Pie
Service 3.5/5
Food 3.5/5
http://blueplatesantamonica.com/bpo/los-angeles/

No comments: