Saturday, April 5, 2014

March 25: Palau Day 4

Last night, after we had finished with everything Josh Masillamoni and I went up to the top floor balcony to try and take some night pictures of the stars. While we were up there the owner saw us and let us up onto the roof so we spent some time taking some night pictures.
Orion
We woke up this morning and headed off to clinic after breakfast. Before we started Nate gave the morning worship, which had to have been a first for him. He kept it short and sweet.
I forgot to bring the battery for my light so I wasn’t able to do too much dentistry today, but I assisted quite a bit and help sterilize. I helped one of the D2’s, Sally, with 8 extractions on one patient, so that took a fair amount of time. Half of us broke for lunch around 11:30 or noon and we went to the Rock Island CafĂ© because they are giving us half off for the week. The afternoon session went by pretty quickly too, because it was pretty busy. I did a lot of sterilization and running of supplies to the different chairs. After we finished with the patients we headed over to the SDA church for dinner, where some of the aunties are cooking for us the whole week. Tonight they made us some vegetarian Palauan specialties. We had demok (taro leaf soup), purple taro dumplings, yellow taro dumplings with coconut, green papaya salad, stewed pumpkin with coconut milk, aho (Palauan coconut pudding) and soursop juice to wash it all down. The demok was more savory than the soup at the Penthouse restaurant and it had more ginger in it. Both were good and I think I would go back and forth between which I liked better depending on what mood I was in. The aho was really good and I think Dad could have eaten a whole pot full of it. It had a really interesting texture that was kind of like a soupy softer version of the soft flesh of lychee.
After dinner we headed over to the Queen of Palau’s house to say hello and send our condolences because her husband had just died four days previously. Her house was full of all kinds of Palauan knick-knacks, understandably. She had some really ornate storyboards, lots of fans of coral, and a lot of sea turtle shells.
Napoleon Wrasse Storyboard
After the Queen’s house we headed back to the hotel and some of us played Mafia in Jeremy and my room and then we went to bed.
 

No comments: